A Family Firm Dedicated To You

Prevent speeding to reduce traffic deaths, says NTSB

Some Missouri motorists may think that the increase in drivers, or the prevalence of both drivers and pedestrians playing with their smartphones, is to blame for the rise in traffic fatalities. However, the National Transportation Safety Board believes that speeding is the culprit. The number of speeding-related deaths is second only to the number of DUI-related deaths.

The NTSB has released a report that not only shows how fatal speeding is but also recommends ways to curb it. This comes at a good time, as many cities across the U.S. have begun to implement measures, such as road diets, meant to keep pedestrians and bicyclists safe. Some cities have joined an international project called Vision Zero, whose goal is to eliminate all traffic fatalities in the future.

Going even 10 miles over the speed limit can considerably impact survival rates. For example, pedestrians have a 60 percent chance of living when hit by a car going 30 mph, but only a 40 percent chance when the car is going 40 mph. The NTSB notes that most speed limits don’t match the speeds with the lowest crash involvement rate. Additionally, the NTSB suggests that people should become more aware of the dangers of speeding. It could be reduced if punishments for it corresponded to those for DUI, or if speeding cameras were enforced.

Though punishments for speeding may be light, it is another matter altogether when such recklessness results in a car crash. Occupants of other vehicles who have been injured in an accident caused by a driver who was traveling over the speed limit might want to meet with an attorney to discuss seeking a settlement from the at-fault motorist’s insurer.